Wednesday, March 14, 2007

i just had to comment on this

Today in class we went over Youtube(Google) vs. Viacom and since I use YouTube I definately have to put in my two cents. First, like many students, I take Google's side. Even though copyrighted material is going on the website, Google is adhering to Viacom's requests to take some postings down. In addition, it is viewers and not Google who puts these videos up. Secondly, even though ad revenue comes from watching these videos, the added publicity given from watching YouTube undoubtedly provides Viacom with an edge. Some viewers may see a given episode of South Park and maybe wonder what the show is all about. They next hop onto YouTube and watch a few episodes and, subsequently, are now watching this show each week on Viacom TV networks. Viacom is just looking for a way to make a few bucks and take all the fun away from viewers like me.

No comments: